This weekend was manic!! It started with a Christmas party on Friday night (late night, bit too much to drink etc), then ballet at 9am on Saturday morning followed by the school Christmas fayre (at which I was helping), a kids party, and a work Christmas meal. Sunday started with a lie in, thanks to my amazing mum and step dad, followed by another 2 kids parties!
I don’t feel like my feet touched the ground!
I am sure many of you are in the same position this time of year so I post this recipe for you. It doesn’t take much to make and you can sit down with a cup of tea and a slice whilst you allow life to pass you by for 10 minutes! You deserve it after all!
- 2oz coconut oil
- 2oz dairy free margarine
- 2oz white sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 7oz plain gluten-free flour (I use my own wholegrain flour blend)
- Half tsp vanilla paste (or a full tsp vanilla extract)
- 4tbsp mincemeat (ideally my pear and amaretto one!)
- Melt the coconut oil, then mix with the margarine and sugar until smooth
- Add the flour, vanilla and mincemeat and stir well. The mixture will be quite soft at this point. Don't worry!
- Place the dough into a greased round tin approx. 18cm in diameter and firm down well, smoothing it off on the top
- Score the dough where you would like to cut it...making sure you do not go all the way through the dough. This will make it easier to cut when it is cooked
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees (140 degree fan) for 35-40 minutes until firm to touch
- Whilst still warm sprinkle with white sugar and leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting
- If you can tolerate dairy then use 4oz butter with 6oz flour and 2oz sugar for a perfect shortbread!