This is considered a treat in our house, even though it is far far healthier than anything you could buy in the chippy! It is also very quick and easy to make. To make a change use sweet potatoes for your wedges instead of ordinary potatoes.
Serves: Serves 2 adults, 2 children
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Soya-free
- 500g white fish fillets
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread (check depending on diet)
- 1 tsp washed capers
- 1 handful black pitted olives
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon (or a tsp of 'jif' lemon)
- Pepper for seasoning
- 2 large potatoes or 3-4 smaller ones
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into smallish wedges or chips (chips will cook quicker!). Place in a bowl with the oil and mix well. Spread out on a baking sheet and place in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for approx. 30-45 mins depending on the size of the wedges/chips.
- Meanwhile, put the bread, capers and olives in a food processor or handheld chopper and whizz until you have breadcrumbs. You may need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your chopper!
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil into the breadcrumb mixture in a large bowl
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture onto the fish fillets on a baking tray making sure there are no bits of fish showing as these will dry out otherwise
- Bake in the same oven as the chips for 10-15 minutes until cooked through (depends on the size of the fish)
- Serve with the home-made potato wedges and whatever vegetables are acceptable to your little one (or big one – being your partner!)