It’s the last day before the schools are out so I will keep this short and sweet. Expect to ‘see’ a little less of me over the next 6 weeks, especially on social media.
Here, however, you can expect a new exciting series of blog posts called ‘Introducing’ in which I will introduce you to some brilliant small free from companies and their products, whilst also giving you a chance to win some of their things to try.
There will also be a couple of bigger give aways with more familiar brands…so watch this space carefully!
As for today I am going to quickly share a recipe for lemon cupcakes using my wholegrain gluten and rice-free flour blend. I adapted it from a recipe in the River Cottage Gluten Free cookery book which I highly recommend. I use it a lot, swapping out all the different flours used in the recipes for my blend.
It is very easy and quick to make. If you don’t have any elderflowers don’t worry…just make the sugar syrup without the flowers or use a dash of elderflower cordial.
Have a very happy, healthy and relaxed summer if like me, you will be on childcare duties.
I will do my best to answer any questions you may have, but it may take me a little longer than usual…
- For the cake:
- 120g Plain Free From Fairy flour
- 120g ground almonds
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 70g muscavado, brown or coconut sugar
- 80g maple or rice syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 55g extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- For the syrup:
- 3tbsp white sugar or rice syrup
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 elderflower heads - washed well
- Place the flour, almonds and bicarb in a large bowl and stir well. Or place them in a stand mixer and mix together until well combined
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/160 degree fan/gas 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cases
- In a separate bowl (or empty the stand mixer bowl and use that) whisk the sugar, syrup and eggs for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy
- Add the oil slowly along with the zest or 2 lemons and juice of 1 lemon
- Finally fold in the flour mixture and divide between 12 muffin cases
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 20 minutes until springy to the touch
- Whilst the cakes are baking make the sugar syrup by placing all the ingredients into a small pan over a low heat
- Bring slowly up to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar if using
- Once boiling remove from the heat and discard the elderflowers
- Once the cakes are cooked remove them from the oven and spike around 6 holes in the top of each using a skewer
- Divide the sugar syrup between the cakes and allow to cool
- Sprinkle with a little sugar before serving if you wish
Pin the recipe so you don’t lose it!
I’ve shared this recipe with: