Christmas Shortbread With Cardamom, Chocolate & Mincemeat
Gluten-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Soya-free (can be dairy-free)
- 6 oz plain gluten-free flour my wholegrain blend is wonderful in this (7oz if making dairy-free)
- 4 oz butter softened (or 2oz dairy-free spread and 2oz coconut oil - melted)
- 2 oz sugar
- 5 cardamom pods seeds removed and crushed
- 2-3 tbsp mincemeat my clementine one was particularly good in these, but if low FODMAP use my low FODMAP mincemeat
- Large handful dark chocolate chips check ingredients
Combine the softened butter with the sugar, beating until it becomes smooth (I do this by hand but you could use a machine)
Add the flour and ground cardamom and combine until you have a dough (I do this by hand). If you are making this dairy-free you will need to chill the dough for about 30 minutes or until it is firm enough to roll
Flour a large piece of baking parchment and roll the dough (with a floured rolling pin) out into a rectangle, about 20cm long by 15cm wide, making sure not to roll it too thin and checking all the time that you can still move it on the surface! Watch the video of me making pastry if you are not sure what I am talking about here!
Spread the mincemeat onto the rectangle leaving about 1inch on the longest sides with nothing on
Sprinkle on the chocolate chips and roll gently along the length of the dough (using the paper to help you) leaving you with a long 'sausage roll' shape, pressing the edges together to seal
Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into pieces approx. 1inch thick. You will get about 11
Place on a greased baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees (180 degree for a fan oven) for 10-15 minutes until golden.
Leave to cool on the baking tray