Butternut Squash & Chorizo Lasagna
Gluten-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Soya-free (can be Dairy-free)
- For the 'red' sauce:
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- Handful of mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash roughly chopped
- 8 slices ready-sliced chorizo roughly chopped (or 1 tin of butterbeans)
- 1 tin chopped or whole tomatoes
- 4 sundried tomatoes optional although make a nice rich sauce
- Approx. 5 gluten-free lasagna sheets
- For the 'white' sauce:
- 75 g butter or margarine
- 75 g plain gluten-free flour
- 700 ml milk dairy or dairy-free such as almond milk
- 1 - 2 tsp wholegrain mustard check it is gluten-free
- For the top:
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese grated (optional, or could use dairy-free)
Place the onion, mushrooms, pepper, squash and chorizo into a roasting tin and roast at 180 degrees (160 degree fan oven) for approx. 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. If you are not using the chorizo drizzle with some oil.
Once cooked, put the vegetable mixture into a food processor along with the tin of tomatoes and sundried tomatoes and whizz together until you have a smooth sauce (I do this to prevent the kids 'finding' vegetables that they don't like!). Season to taste. If you do not want to use chorizo add your drained butter beans to the sauce at this stage.
Once the vegetables are cooked turn the oven up to 200 degrees or 180 degree for a fan oven.
Whilst the vegetables are cooking make the white sauce:
Melt the butter or margarine in a medium sized pan over a medium heat.
Add the flour and stir for approx. 1 minute.
Slowly add the milk, using a whisk to stop any lumps from forming. Take it off the heat if you need to in order to beat out any pesky lumps!
Once all the milk is added, allow it to come to the boil then remove from the heat and add the mustard and seasoning.
Finally take your baking dish. This will need to be approx. 30cm by 20cm and have shallow sides.
Place half the tomato mixture in the bottom of your dish and spread evenly.
Place your lasagna sheets on top without them overlapping (you will probably need to break some to do this!).
Top with half the white sauce then repeat the process finishing with the white sauce.
If you are not dairy free then sprinkle with the cheese (or use dairy-free cheese) and bake in your pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the top is golden.
If you are not adding the cheese then make sure you cover the dish with foil for the whole cooking time or the lasagna will dry out.