Butter shortbread. It’s one of those things that I make a lot but have never shared.
It is also one of the simplest biscuits you could ever make, but made with my wholegrain gluten-free plain flour it is mind blowingly delicious!
Since Valentine’s Day is rapidly approaching I’ve joined forces with my other fabulous blogging ‘team’ to bring you some fabulous recipes.
We all believe that it isn’t necessary to miss out if you have a restricted diet. We also all believe in inclusivity and everyone being able to enjoy wonderful food. After all, cooking is all about love.
So far the team have shared vegan pavlova, gluten and dairy free chocolate roulade, gluten-free and vegan tiramisu and vegan (not gluten-free) Valentine biscuits. You’ll find the links below along with all the other bloggers taking part. Links to their recipes will be added as they are published so check back in a week or so to find more.
- 4 oz (120g) butter, softened
- 1 oz (30g) light brown sugar (you can also use white)
- 6 oz (180g) Free From Fairy gluten-free plain flour
- Optional 2 tbsp freeze dried raspberries or strawberries (or if you want more sugar, chocolate chips)
- Beat the softened butter with the sugar, either with a wooden spoon or in a mixer
- Add the flour (and optional extras) and bring together into a dough (I find hands work well here if I'm not using my mixer)
- On a clean, floured work surface roll the dough out to around 1cm thick (if it's hot you might need to chill the dough for a few minutes before doing this)
- Cut out the shape of biscuit you require and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat until all the dough is used up
- Place in the fridge to chill for around 20 minutes
- Heat your oven to 190 degrees C/170 degrees C fan oven/ Gas Mark 5
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until just cooked. Don't wait for them to turn brown because they will be overcooked
If you want to buy my wholegrain gluten-free and rice-free flour blend click on the photo below where you’ll be taken to my shop:
Pin my recipe so you don’t lose it!