I don’t know about you but I am totally in love with chocolate. I am forever looking for ways to include my favourite ingredient in a healthy way because me and sugar don’t get on.
Yesterday I came up with this genius idea!
There is no sugar – yes really.
No sugar. No sugar alternative or sweetener, just one little old banana.
The result of combining cashew nuts with coconut oil, banana and cacao is a dense fudge-like treat. And a treat that you don’t need to feel too guilty about eating.
When the kids came home from school with a friend it was with trepidation that I offered my invention to them. They can be so cruel after all.
Rather than be rude about it they demolished the entire batch in the 2 minutes that my back was turned. I’ll take that as a big thumbs up.
Today I’ve made these with goats butter instead of coconut oil. I omitted the cinnamon which I added to the coconut oil version partly to mask the flavour of the coconut, and the result is spectacular.
I choose to use goats products or A2 milk these days…both are thought to be far less inflammatory than ‘normal’ cows milk and you get the natural calcium that they contain with none of the thickeners and other odd ingredients you find in dairy-free milk.
I can control my eczema this way, but if you are allergic to dairy then goats products and A2 milk would not be suitable for you.
Whichever ingredients you choose to use I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. If you were feeling particularly decadent you could include a few dark chocolate chips…not for me because of the sugar, but it would certainly increase the wow factor even more!
I’ve created the recipe with a small number of ingredients. You could easily double or quadruple the recipe if you wanted to. Just keep the finished treats in the fridge and try not to eat them all in one sitting…they do contain a lot of fat, even if the latest science does think that saturated fat is no longer the ‘baddie’ it once was.
- 100g cashew nuts
- 80g ripe (with a few black spots) banana when peeled
- 25g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 50g virgin coconut oil (or butter), melted
- Pinch of salt (not necessary if using salted butter)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Place the cashews and banana into a small hand held chopper or blender and process until completely smooth (this may take a while but it's worth doing it until smooth)
- Add all the other ingredients and blend again, scraping down the sides to make sure everything is mixed well
- Spread the mixture into a dish of your choice (depending upon how thick you want the fudge to be) and chill in the fridge for around 1 hour
- Once set, cut into pieces and remove from the dish
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge
Pin the recipe so you don’t lose it!
I’ve shared this with: