This deliciously moist gluten free apple cake is very easy to make and the perfect way to use up apples this Autumn. I’ve used red eating apples with a little mixed spice for the perfect gluten free cake.
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The story behind the recipe
I developed this recipe for Cake Decorating & Sugar Craft magazine. I was told were going to do a full page feature on my gluten free flour. I’m not sure if it ever happened so I thought I would share the recipe today since there are so many apples around at the moment.
I also have a huge amount of my gluten free flour blend in the house so what better way to use it than to create another cake recipe.
How to make gluten free apple cake
It’s really easy to make any cakes gluten free with my gluten free flour blend. In fact, it’s so easy you don’t need special recipes like you do with most other gluten free flour blends. Instead you can choose any recipe you like and just use my gluten free flour in the place of wheat flour.
So for this gluten free apple cake I’ve combined sugar, butter, eggs and flour along with mixed spice, apples and milk to make a delicious moist loaf cake.
The only additional ingredient I’ve added is psyllium husk powder, or xanthan gum. This just helps the cake bind together well although it isn’t absolutely necessary when using my gluten free flour blend.
In fact in most cake recipes I skip it all together. It just depends on what texture you like your cake to have. The only reason for adding it into this cake recipe is so that it holds together well around the apple pieces. However don’t worry if you don’t have any.
What equipment will I need?
You don’t need very much to make this apple cake. I personally like to use my Sage stand mixer to make cakes. It helps to get lots of air into them but isn’t completely necessary.
If you don’t have one then use an electric whisk like this one to cream the butter and sugar together.
I highly recommend investing in this really good loaf tin for this cake and for making gluten free bread in. It creates the perfect sized loaves and when making bread it has nice tall sides to support the structure.
Pin my gluten free apple cake recipe:
Gluten-Free Apple Cake
A simple, moist gluten free apple cake. It's gluten free, nut free, soya free (choose margarine carefully or use butter if not dairy-free) and can be made dairy free.
- 140 g butter or dairy-free margarine
- 140 g light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 140 g plain Free From Fairy flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder make sure it's gluten free
- 1/4 tsp psyllium powder or 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp milk or dairy-free milk
- 2 red apples peeled, cored and chopped
- Extra light brown sugar for decoration
- Grease and line a 1kg (2 lb) loaf tin and pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees/140 fan/gas 3
- Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs and beat again. Don't worry if the mixture separates
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well
- Add the dry ingredients and milk to the wet ingredients, and beat to combine
- Finally stir through the apple chunks
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack
- Allow to cool completely before scattering the top of the cake with more light brown sugar
Nutrition data for guidance only
I’ve shared with: