This spicy bean burger recipe is a firm favourite in this house. Adults and kids love it and it’s perfect for summer BBQ’s. Serve in a gluten free roll with salad.
This recipe for spicy bean burgers was inspired by a recipe by Lorraine Pascale. I have removed the gluten and made them less spicy to appeal to my kids. I’ve also made a few other tweaks with the result being a veggie burger that everyone loves.
Pin the recipe so you don’t lose it:
Spicy Bean Burger Recipe (Gluten Free)
- 400 g tin kidney beans - rinsed
- 400 g tin butter beans - rinsed
- 3 spring onions - white and green bits, finely chopped or 1 small red onion
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- Half tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sundried tomato pesto
- Large handful fresh coriander - finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp gluten free flour
- 2 medium eggs - it also works with 1 if you only have one!
- 100 g feta cheese - crumbled (leave out if avoiding dairy)
- Approx. 1tbsp Olive oil for cooking
- Place the beans in a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher or fork until broken up.
- Using a food processor or hand-held equivalent, finely chop the onion and garlic, adding water if neccessary to achieve a 'paste' (if you do this you will need to add more flour!
- Add all the remaining ingredients into the bowl and give it a good mix, seasoning with black pepper (and salt if you want to and are not feeding children).
- Mold into patties the size that you require.
- Place the burgers into a large frying pan with the oil, on a medium heat.
- Cook for approx. 5 minutes until the underside is nicely browned. Take care turning them over because they can be rather fragile.
- Once turned over cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, bake on a greased baking tray in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for approx. 15 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with gluten free buns or with a lovely brown rice salad and salad leaves. I made a brown rice salad by cooking the rice as per the instructions on the packet and cooling it. I then added plain yogurt, chopped coriander, olive oil, lemon juice, sweetcorn and black pepper...yum!