This is a really easy recipe for fudge. You don’t need any special equipment, just a saucepan and spoon! You can flavour it any way you like by adding the flavouring (such as vanilla extract) at the end. However, I decided to make up a Christmassy flavour so this is what I went for…
- 300 ml milk
- 350 g sugar
- 100 unsalted butter
- Zest 2 clementines
- Half tsp ground ginger
- Half tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp amaretto or brandy
- Add the first three ingredients to a large pan (when hot it will boil up and it is therefore important to choose a large pan with plenty of room) and heat over a low to medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Stir every minute or so to make sure everything is mixed.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up and boil the mixture, stirring every few minutes to make sure it doesn't stick on the bottom.
- Keep boiling until the mixture thickens and darkens...when it is ready the mixture will pull away from the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- Take off the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients, then leave the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the mixture with a spoon for approx. 10 minutes until the mixture looses its sheen and starts to thicken.
- Quickly pour the mixture into a lined tin approx. 20cm by 20cm although if you don't have one you can just pour it out onto a lined baking tray. Smooth the surface and leave to cool.
- Cut into pieces once cooled.