I thought it was about time that I experimented with a yule log. The kids do not like Christmas cake so I decided to make this as our special cake this year. If you are a bit scared about rolling up a cake don’t let it put you off making this. My cake didn’t roll properly, and it broke in three places – but you will be covering it with chocolate icing so it doesn’t matter (the next year – picture above, it was much better)!
I followed Mary Berry’s recipe for the cake which you can find here. Whilst the cake was still hot I turned it onto another piece of baking paper and rolled it. The key is doing this while hot!
The recipe for the icing and filling is below.
Best gluten-free yule log
- 100 g plain 70% chocolate, melted with
- 150 g milk chocolate
- 100 g double cream
- 100 g icing sugar sifted
- Melt the chocolate
- Add the cream to the chocolate and stir till combined
- Add the icing sugar to the cream mix and beat till creamy
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread icing on it before rolling up again.
- Pipe the remaining icing onto the top to look like bark
- To serve sprinkle with icing sugar.