With the announcement that Warburtons have a new gluten-free wrap on the shelves it reminded me that I haven’t made my own for a long time…and I haven’t shared them with you either. They are very simple to make with only a few ingredients. You just need a bit of time to cook them all but they are worth the effort! Oh, and have a window open because after making a few the flour starts to burn a bit on the bottom of the frying pan which is not a problem but gets a bit whiffy!
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free, Soya-free, Low FODMAP
- 2 cups plain gluten-free flour - I usually use Doves Farm. The photo is some that I made using half gluten-free maize flour and half plain gluten-free flour
- 1 and a half tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt - I don't add this but you may want to
- 1 cup warm water
- Rice flour or gluten-free plain flour for dusting and rolling out
- Little olive oil for frying
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add the cup of warm water and mix until you have a dough, you may need to add more flour or more liquid depending on what brand of flour you use. The dough needs to be firm enough to handle
- Separate the dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a ball
- Place a frying pan over a high heat with a little olive oil to grease the pan (I usually spread it out with a piece of kitchen paper)
- Remove 1 ball
- Sprinkle a clean surface with a lot of rice flour and put rice flour on your ball and rolling pin too
- Roll the ball out onto the floured surface into an approximate round shape, making it as thin as possible
- Place the tortilla into the hot pan and cook for approx. 1 minute until starting to puff up and develop brown spots on the bottom side.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook on the other side for approx. 1 minute
- Repeat with the rest of the dough, re-oiling the pan each time and rolling out the next tortilla while one is in the pan cooking
- If you have time, cover them with a clean tea-towel and leave for 30 minutes or so. This makes the tortillas lovely and soft
- Serve with my yummy chilli or whatever takes your fancy! Try them for lunch with your favourite fillings!