I thought I would experiment with a new type of simnel cake since my kids don’t like fruit cake. So here it is, my chocolate ‘simnel’ cupcakes…especially appealing for children of all ages! Happy Easter.
Chocolate 'simnel' cupcakes
- 6 oz butter or dairy-free spread
- 6 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 oz self-raising gluten-free flour I use my blend
- 2 oz cocoa
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- Half tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Approx. 3/4 packet of marzipan check ingredients - I used Tesco own
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases
- Cream the sugar and butter together until light in colour and fluffy
- Add the eggs and continue to beat for a further minute
- Add the remaining ingredients except the marzipan and beat until everything is combined
- Place a spoonful of mixture into each paper case
- Take a small piece of marzipan and flatten it with your thumb and finger to get a rough disk the size of the muffin case
- Repeat the process 12 times placing a disk of marzipan in each muffin case
- Place a further spoonful of mixture on top of each disk of marzipan and gently smooth the mixture out
- Cook in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops spring back when pressed.
- Leave to cool, then decorate with marzipan. I rolled my marzipan out then used a cutter slightly smaller than the cakes to cut out a disk that I placed on top of each cake. My daughter then rolled out the marzipan balls to go on top! If you have some apricot jam knocking around then it will help to stick the marzipan to the cake and the balls to the marzipan. I didn't have any so just pushed them gently down..! They seem to be staying on!