This gluten free plum cake is based on a BBC Good Food recipe that I’ve adapted to be gluten free and dairy free. It’s very easy to make and a delicious way to use up any extra plums you may have!
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is my all time favourite cake recipe. It tastes of Autumn and never fails to please.
I was inspired by a recipe I found in the BBC Good food magazine. I adapted that to make it gluten and dairy free and this is the result.
In it you’ll discover why you have baking failures and what to do about it.
How do you make gluten free plum cake?
It’s very easy to make this cake. The margarine (or butter if you’re not dairy free) is creamed with the sugar before adding the eggs. Sometimes this mixture can look curdled but don’t worry, it will come together and will bake perfectly.
I use my Sage stand mixer for this job. It makes lovely light sponge cakes and it means I can start tidying up while it does the mixing.
Once the eggs have been whisked into the eggs and fat the remaining ingredients are folded through the mixture.
If you don’t have psyllium husk powder or xanthan gum then leave them out. I added them in to make the cake more robust but it will still work without them.
I’ve given a few different options for flavour. You can use any that you like. I personally love this cake with lime zest but you can use lemon or orange too.
Once its baked scattering the top with brown sugar gives it a rustic look and a slight crunch when eating it.
If have an excess of plums then this is the recipe for you.
If you like this recipe check out my other plum recipes:
And if you like these recipes sign up for my free recipe ebook. In it I share recipes for gluten free scones, pancakes, pizza and more. You’ll also get my weekly newsletter of recipe inspiration, tips and news.
Pin the recipe for gluten free plum cake
Gluten Free Plum Cake
- 140 g dairy-free margarine or butter if not dairy free
- 140 g granulated sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 140 g plain Free From Fairy flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder make sure it's gluten free
- 1/4 tsp psyllium husk powder or 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 lime or lemon or orange - zested
- 2 tbsp juice of choice use whichever fruit you chose above
- 200 g plums stoned and chopped into pieces
- Light brown sugar for decorating
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees/140degrees fan oven/gas 3
- Grease a 1kg/2lb loaf tin
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until they are pale and fluffy (at least 1 minute)
- Add eggs and beat for a further minute or so (with an electric whisk - longer if by hand) - the mixture will separate, don't worry!
- Combine the flour with the baking powder and psyllium in a separate bowl
- Fold in the dry mix with the zest of the fruit you are using and 2 tbsp of the juice you are using.
- Add the plums and gently mix in
- Spoon mix into the prepared tin and bake for approx 1 hour. Check after 50 mins because your oven will cook at a different time from mine. A skewer should come out clean when it is done.
- Once the cake has cooled, decorate with a scattering of light brown sugar
Nutrition facts for guidance only