This simple homemade vegan chocolate recipe is filled with raspberry ‘blood’. The perfect Halloween treat. It’s gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free too.
It’s a peculiar day…
The air is still after yesterdays storm and tiny, lazy drops of rain fall from the sky. The weather seems to be reflecting my mood; calm yet unenthused…happy yet sad.
We’re currently applying for secondary schools for ‘Roo’ and today we found out that her best friend got into the grammar school she had applied for. At the same time, I continue the fight to try and get ‘Roo’ into the school I want her to go to. I’m not getting very far but I won’t give up!
Add to that a van that failed it’s MOT in many ways and a call from the garage at 8.30am this morning to say that the exhaust I had bought (at great expense online), didn’t fit…
And you get the picture of my mood reflecting the somewhat unexciting weather.
Homemade vegan chocolate for Halloween
Anyway, I started creating this recipe for homemade vegan chocolate with raspberry ‘blood’, last night.
It was late and my patience was low.
I made the chocolate and the sauce and layered them together, knowing instantly that it wasn’t going to work.
The chocolate merged with the raspberry sauce in a halloween nightmare mess. I should have taken photos to make you laugh but I was too embarrassed.
Instead I set about making them again (once the van situation had been sorted. Is it me, or is life often about fire fighting rather than planning?!).
This time I made the chocolate and the sauce and froze each layer for 10 minutes before adding the next one.
The result? Perfect homemade vegan chocolate filled with raspberry ‘blood’.
I can take no credit for the idea. It came from a blog called Elephantastic Vegan. If you don’t fancy making your own (very simple) refined sugar-free chocolate then follow her recipe. She uses shop bought baking chocolate.
Once again the recipe forms part of a ‘challenge’ I’m working on with other members of the Free From Comms Collective (a group of food bloggers who work together).
You’ll find all their fabulous ‘free from’ Halloween recipes by clicking on the links below, or search #FreeFromHalloween across social media…
Nathalie at Intolerant Gourmand
Rebecca at Glutarama
Emma at Free From Farmhouse
Mel at Le Coin de Mel
Midge at Peachicks Bakery
Chloé at The Adventures of an Allergy Mummy
Laura at Dairy Free Kids
Grace at Eats Amazing
Reneé at Mummy Tries
Sarah at The Gluten Free Blogger
Kate at Gluten Free Alchemist
Pin the recipe for homemade vegan chocolate so you don’t lose it:
I created the recipe for Halloween, but of course you could make it any time!
Homemade vegan chocolate with raspberry filling
This easy to make homemade vegan chocolate is perfect any time of year but fun at Halloween! It's Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Soya-Free, Refined Sugar-Free and Vegan
- First, make the raspberry sauce by bringing the frozen raspberries to the boil in a small pan and boiling them for around 3 minutes until a thick sauce is created
- Sweeten to taste
- Remove the raspberry sauce from the pan and place in the fridge to cool
- Next add the coconut oil to the same pan (no need for washing up!) and leave it to melt
- Once melted remove from the heat and add the other ingredients. Stir until smooth
- Using small petit four cases (I used two together to add to the strength) on a baking tray place a small amount of liquid chocolate into the base of around 15 cases
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Remove from the freezer and add a small amount of raspberry sauce
- Freeze again for 10 minutes before adding a small amount of melted chocolate to the top and freezing until set
Nutrition information doesn't include any sweetener you may add to the raspberries