It has been a flurry of activity over the last couple of days while I prepare for my son’s birthday.
Although he has no issues with food I try to make everything gluten and dairy free so that his sister can eat everything at a party.
So far I have made gingerbread men with my recipe that you can find here.
The gluten free jammie dodgers that you can buy are dairy free but unfortunately contain gluten-free oats which don’t seem to agree with my daughter.
These jammie dodgers are so easy to make.
The recipe below makes a huge amount so I have frozen half of the dough and made the other half up for the party.
This recipe will make 40 48mm biscuits.
Halve the recipe if you want less or freeze some of the dough.
Just remove from the freezer and leave at room temperature for approx. 1 hour until soft enough to roll out!
Gluten Free Jammie Dodgers
- Put the fat and icing sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add the vanilla and egg yolk and beat for a further minute
- Add the xanthan gum and mix well to combine then add the flour (and water if you are using coconut oil)
- Work into a dough, kneading it a bit to bring it into a smooth ball
- Flour a clean surface and knead the dough until smooth
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of about 3mm. Using a 4-5cm cutter cut out an even number of circles. Using a smaller cutter, or a piping nozzle (for icing!) cut a small hole in the middle of half of the biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to well greased or lined baking trays ( I used 2 for half the mix). Don't worry about spacing them out because they do not grow!
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 190 degrees of 170 degrees (fan oven).
- Remove from the oven and place a small dollop of jam in the centre of the whole circles. Stick a biscuit with a hole in it, over the top.
- Place back in the oven for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack after a few minutes and allow to cool before eating them. Yes, wait for them to cool! I couldn't wait either so I don't know why I am saying that!
- Admire your work and wait for the squeals from the kids when they see them!