This needs no introduction. I have been teasing some of you with my pictures of bakewell tart on Twitter and Facebook so I thought it was about time I shared the recipe! This one was my first foray into gluten-free and dairy-free pastry and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and how deliciously short it was (without being crumbly!). In fact, it was the perfect pastry whether you follow a gluten or dairy free diet or not!
It can also be made without egg by substituting the egg with 1 flax egg made up from 1 tbsp of ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp of water and stirred until thick.
Perfect shortcrust pastry (glutenfree, dairyfree, soyafree)
Makes enough for 1 big tart plus 12 small tarts if rolled thinly.
Gluten-free and dairy-free shortcrust pastry
- 200 g plain gluten-free flour I use my free from fairy blend
- 50 g Trex solid margarine
- 50 g dairy-free margarine I use Tesco or Sainsburys own soft spread but it does say may contain traces of milk...
- OR 100g butter not dairy-free
- 50 g white sugar optional if you want sweet pastry
- 1 egg
- Place the flour and margarines into a large bowl and, using a knife or fork, mash the fats into the flour until you have fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and mix through if using
- Add the egg to the mix and bring together to form a dough. If you need to, add a tiny bit of cold water to bring it together. I didn't need to but it will depend on the flour you use
- Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes before using
Flour the surface well before rolling out and if making a large tart, line the tin with the pastry, then chill again in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking blind for approx. 10 – 15 minutes at 180 degrees or 160 degree fan…