Crumble and Christmas…
It has to be done. A good crumble is a thing of glory and this recipe is something that my mum always used to make. So simple unyet delightfully satisfying, it’s perfect at Christmas.
It’s a fabulous way of using up any mincemeat that you might have lurking in the fridge now that the ‘big’ day is over.
The joy of this recipe is that it can be brought together in a matter of minutes and prepared well in advance.
If you are expecting people to drop in over the Christmas period it is a fantastic pudding to have on standby.
The crumble, cooked separately, is delightfully crisp. The apple mixture can be cooked ahead of time too.
I tend to cook lots of apples at once and then freeze them in pots; while the crumble topping, being cooked separately can also be frozen.
When you need a quick pudding all you have to do is defrost the fruit and crumble mixture and warm it through.
This really is so simple, but also really delicious.
I hope you enjoy it. Happy Boxing Day!
- FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 225 g Gluten-Free Self Raising Flour I use my Free From Fairy blend
- 115 g Butter or dairy-free alternative
- 85 g Coconut sugar I use Coconut Merchant
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Approx. 450g cooking apples peeled and cored
- 3 tbsp mincemeat or a handful of raisins, 1tsp mixed spice and sugar to taste
- Make the crumble by rubbing the butter into the flour until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir through the sugar, spread onto a lined baking tray and cook at 180 degrees C (160 degree fan) for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven, stir and replace for a further 5 minutes until golden and crisp
- While the crumble is cooking peel, core and cut the apples into chunks and cook in a saucepan on a low heat with around 1 cup of water
- Stir regularly and add more water if needed
- Cook until the apple is smooth with no lumps then add the mincemeat and taste for sweetness. Add sugar if you think it's necessary
- Finally, place the apple mixture into a deep dish (around 24cm diameter) and scatter over the crumble topping
- Alternatively keep the crumble mixture in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature (or freeze for a longer life) and the apple mixture in the fridge for up to a week (or freeze for a longer life)
Buy my wholegrain gluten-free flour blends by clicking on the picture below:
Pin the recipe so you don’t loose it:
This is what some of my customers have said about the flour:
Fantastic flour to work with...
Just started using your flour (plain and self raising). I'm not a confident cook but followed your Victoria sponge recipe exactly and it was fantastic.
Excellent and easy to use product, supplier has and excellent website with recipes and ideas and is very friendly and helpful if you have any questions. We love eating things made with this flour.
Very tasty and well worth the money!
Having met Vicki at a Free From food show, we decided to try her flour as I was also concerned about the amount of rice in my gluten free daughter's diet. It did seem expensive compared to some supermarket flours (although they have rice flour in) but it is well worth the money. The flour is tasty and hasn't crumbled like others have. We recently made cupcakes to take to a party as between them my children are gluten, wheat, dairy, soya, egg, banana, kiwi, tomato and sulphite free. We used a recipe from Vicki's website and made very tasty chocolate cupcakes. Well worth the money and this is what I will be using going forward for the kids.
Fantastic free from flour!
I love, love, love this flour, so versatile. It's lovely to have a gluten free flour that works in all baking and cooking and is healthy and nutritional too. It makes a refreshing change from lifeless, white powder that has the absorption of a sponge! This flour looks good and tastes good too.
Lovely Tasty Quick Bread Alternative!
This is a lovely tasty and quick bread alternative, thank you Vicki. I like to make it alongside a 'picky tea' or with soup or a stew. My only problem with the recipe is the 'leave to cool' part! 🙂 I can never resist the warm end of a fresh baked loaf!