These easy fishcakes are perfect for this time of year when money might be a bit tight and you don’t have much energy or enthusiasm for cooking. They are incredibly simple to make and quick too, making the perfect mid-week meal.
I created this recipe when I had no idea what to cook for dinner. It’s the perfect meal to get kids to eat fish and uses ingredients that you’re likely to have in your store cupboard.
How do you make these easy fishcakes?
Firstly, you’ll need to create some mashed potato. Even better if you have some leftovers from a previous meal because you can skip this step altogether.
Not only that but if you have leftover mashed potato it will be much easier to make these. If the potato is cold it is easier to form the fishcakes. But don’t worry. You can still make them with hot mash.
Once you have cooked your potatoes and mashed them it is a simple case of adding the other ingredients.
I like to cook my spring onions and pepperoni before I add them to the mash but you don’t have to do this. It just means that the onions are soft and a little milder in flavour. Perfect for kids.
When all the ingredients have been mixed together it’s time to remove some of the mixture and form it into a burger-shape. This is a great thing to do with the kids.
Once all the mixture has been made into fishcakes it’s a simple case of frying them in a large frying pan with some oil for around 5-10 minutes on each side.
Can you use other fish?
This is a super versatile recipe. You can use any fish you like in these easy fishcakes. I used a small tin of red salmon but you could use sardines, tuna or whatever takes your fancy.
Do you have to add meat?
Once again, this is up to you. We love the flavour of the pepperoni in the fishcakes but you don’t need to add it. Instead you could add a little smoked paprika to give a little of the same flavour.
What oil do you fry these easy fishcakes in?
I choose a heat-stable oil like coconut oil or light olive oil. You can read why this is important in this article.
What other fishcake recipes do you have?
I am a big fan of fishcakes so I have several recipes. Hopefully you’ll find one that you like:
And you might also like these other fish recipes:
Pin my recipe to a Pinterest board so you don’t lose it:
Easy Fishcakes (Gluten Free)
- 170 g tinned salmon - or other tinned fish
- 3 medium potatoes - skin on, sliced
- 3 spring onions - finely chopped
- 3 slices pepperoni - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli oil or a sprinkle of chilli powder - optional
- Squeeze lime juice - plus the zest
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- Place the sliced potatoes into a saucepan of boiling water and cook for approx. 20 minutes until very soft.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with some seasoning. Place to one side.
- While the potatoes are cooking place the chopped spring onion and pepperoni into a frying pan over a low heat and cook until the onions are softened (5-10 minutes).
- Once the onion mixture is cooked place it into the pan with the mashed potato and add all the other ingredients except the oil for cooking with. Mix well.
- Leave to cool before forming into fishcakes - whatever size you like!
- Fry in a little oil over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes each side until golden on the outside.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables.