This gluten free lemon drizzle cake is popular with everyone. I’ve made it dairy free and refined sugar free but if you would like a dairy and sugar version I give you options for that. It’s so simple to make, my little boy makes it.
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today I am at home with Dr Fiddle.
No, not some strange dangerous man, but ‘Sunshine’ who is on the mend but not quite ready for school having been sick less than 48 hours ago.
As well as diagnosing that the doll babies in the house had a “crumb of broccoli in their lungs”, Dr Fiddle, or ‘Sunshine’ when not playing doctors, has done some amazing school work and made a cake.
As it is Mother’s Day this Sunday, I thought it would be good to share the recipe for the cake that ‘Sunshine’ made.
How do you make a gluten free lemon drizzle cake?
Well ‘Sunshine’ is only six and made it all on his own using my Sage Scraper Mixer Pro.
He weighed out all of the ingredients, then switched the mixer on, setting it to beat for 2 minutes.
I poured the mixture into the prepared cake tin (you’ll need a square one like this) and placed it in the oven for him. ‘Sunshine’ even did the washing up.
This really is the simplest of recipes and if ‘Sunshine’ can do it then there is no excuse for Dad’s out there across the world not to help their kids make it for their mum’s.
But I don’t want it dairy free and refined sugar free!
We made it free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar but you could adapt it according to your requirements.
If you can eat dairy then use butter instead of margarine.
If you eat sugar then swap the xylitol for regular white sugar. For the drizzle topping use white sugar mixed into the lemon juice to create a grainy syrup to pour over the warm, cooked cake.
If you help your children make it, or you make it yourself do let me know what you think.
I’d love to see your photos too. Tag me on social media @freefromfairy.
Other gluten free dairy free cakes you might like
- Gluten free vegan chocolate cake
- Healthy blueberry muffins
- Gluten free coffee cake with chocolate icing
- Gluten free Victoria sponge
- Vegan orange cake
- Mincemeat granola slice
- Gluten free chocolate roulade
- Simple gluten free dairy free cupcakes
- Gluten free apple cake
- Spiced apple and prune cupcakes
- Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free birthday cake
- Healthy alternative Christmas cake (fruit cake)
- Gluten free dairy free chocolate cake
- Gluten free Christmas cake
Pin my recipe for gluten free lemon drizzle cake:
And if you like this recipe enter your details below to receive a free recipe ebook. It contains recipes for gluten free scones, Victoria sponge, pancakes, Yorkshire puddings and more. You’ll also get my free weekly newsletter of recipe inspiration…
Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake (Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- For the cake:
- 100 g margarine - or butter if not dairy free
- 175 g gluten-free Free From Fairy plain flour
- 1¾ tsp baking powder
- 100 g xylitol - powdered stevia or white sugar
- 3 medium eggs - ideally free range or organic
- 2 tbsp almond milk - other dairy free milk or cows milk
- 1 large lemon - zest only
- For the drizzle topping:
- 2 tbsp rice syrup - or other liquid sweetener of your choice, or white sugar
- 1 large lemon - juice
- Sprinkle of xylitol or sweetener of choice for decoration
- Place all of the cake ingredients into the bowl of your mixer, or into a large bowl, and beat for 2 minutes
- Grease a 20cm x 20cm cake tin and turn the oven on to 180 degrees/160 degree fan/gas mark 4.
- Once the mixture is ready, transfer it into the cake tin and level the top
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes until firm to touch
- Whilst the cake is baking combine the lemon juice with the rice syrup
- While still hot, pour the drizzle topping evenly over the cake and allow to cool before removing from the tin and cutting into squares
- Finally sprinkle the top of the cake slices with xylitol for decoration